The Sentina Fort is one of the turrets that are built along the coast of the Adriatic Sea for the defense from the raids of pirates and brigands during the XV and XVI centuries.
In the Marche region such structures have almost completely disappeared. For this reason, the Tower on the port acquired even more historical value remaining one of the few testimonies of that epoch.
In 1543 Principal Battista Raffaele di Como announced the construction of the tower near the river port and the work of the octagonal tower ended in 1547.
Around the middle of the seventeenth century the plague was spreading everywhere, therefore Ascoli gave the order to build a new structure near the port in 1673 to protect itself from the arrival of foreign goods. So it was that behind the sixteenth-century tower was built a new rectangular structure that partly encompassed the tower itself. This new structure was intended to house a permanent armed guard for the defense of the port and for health surveillance.