The Parish of St. Barbara was founded in 1839. The church was rebuilt on several occasions. In the winter of 1852, when the bora caused great damage to the church and the parish apartment, priest Mate Gršković advocated for the expansion of the building, erecting a bell tower and building an apartment for the pastor. The then Archdeacon of Bakar, Vjenceslav Šoić, blessed the foundation stone, and as the Bishop of Senj and Modruš or Krbava, he consecrated the new church of St. Barbara on 19 September1863. The church was rebuilt in 1904, raised for about one meter and is now 8.5 m high. The 20-meter high bell tower was built in 1842 gaining its present form in 1889. It has three bells erected in honour of St. Peter (450 kg), St. Barbara from 1930 (272 kg) and St. Nicholas from 1930 (135 kg), which were cast by the Zagreb bell-maker Kvirin Lebisch. The church was built by the master Ivan Sablić. The old altar statue of St. Barbara, which was brought from Marseille and donated by the naval captain Andrea Medanić in 1870, was placed above the rosette on the front of the church. The statue on the altar was replaced by a painting that the naval captain Mate Pajkurić had painted in Marseilles at his own expense.